Venture deep into the Amazon and experience Ecuador in a most authentic and unique way. The Bameno Community Tour offers a way to experience the culture and lifestyle of the Huaorani tribe. Unlike any other, this tour allows you to appreciate and fully grasp the Amazon rainforest.
SSL Enabled Secure Checkout
If you love adventure, wildlife, nature, and rich indigenous culture, you will love this trip, which takes you to the Huaorani’s ancestral homeland, the Intangible Zone! The Huaroani came into contact with Western cultures only in the late 1950’s. The Huaorani are proud warriors and guardians of the Amazon rainforest. More than a tour, your experience with the Huaorani in the Intangible Zone will be the trip of a lifetime.
Your visit to the Intangible Zone, located in the Yasuní National Park and Biosphere Reserve, will also support an extraordinary community-based initiative to defend Huaorani culture, protect Ecuador’s Amazon rainforest, and provide public health and educational opportunities to members of the community.
Once you are in Bameno, you will experience life among one of the most untouched cultures left in the Amazon jungle – that of the Huaorani. Through traditional chants and snippets of conversation, you will learn about a language developed before the Spanish first stepped foot in the Americas. Village elders will tell stories about how life was before their first contact with Western culture, only about 60 years ago. You will accompany the locals as they hunt packs of wild bore with 10-foot spears and Howler Monkeys with bloguns. This is one of the few opportunities that exist to experience ancient Huaorani culture with people that actually live this way, instead of simply recreating traditional life for the sake of tourists.
The community of Bameno is located 14 hours by canoe from the nearest road, in one of the most remote areas of the Ecuadorian Amazon. As you move slowly down the Shiripuno and Conanaco rivers, you will be immersed in a thriving rainforest ecosystem, which is home to Macaws, Tapirs, Jaguars, and thousands of other species of wildlife.
This tour is offered year round, and requires a minimum of 3 participants in order to secure a reservation. Trips are normally planned and booked well in advance, and it is preferred that you book at least 1 month prior to your arrival. However, if you are a single traveler or a pair, have stumbled upon this experience, and would like to inquire if you can join a group already scheduled in the near or distant future, email us at email@example.com.
Once you make the payment for this tour, 25% of it is immediately non-refundable, per the policy of the community. (We are also happy to only charge you 25% as a deposit instead of for the full amount, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!). The remaining 75% of the payment is fully refundable up to one week (7 days) before the start of the tour, after which point it is not refundable.
Note that none of the following costs for getting to Coca are included in the tour price.
1) Take a commercial flight. The approximate cost is $100 – $200 each way and it is a quick 40 minutes to Coca (plus the time it takes to get the airport in Quito, which is way out of town).
2) Take a bus. Approximate cost of $20 – $30 each way, travel time from 5 – 10 hours depending on road conditions, route selected, and traffic. Be sure to avoid the Nueva Loja route, which takes a lot longer.
3) Hire a private car. Approximate cost of $100 – $200 each way. 5 – 7 hours travel time.
4) Charter a “bush plane.” Cost of $910 each way for a 5 passenger plane (weight limit of 900 pounds, including passengers and luggage); $1,485 each way for a 9 passenger plane.
Penti and Tepena Baihu coordinate the Bameno Community Tours. They are both licensed guides and respected leaders within the community. Penti is the General Coordinator of Ome Gompote Kiwigimoni Huaorani (Ome Yasuni). Both guides are fluent in Spanish and Huaorani.
After you book your experience, you will receive a confirmation email from us confirming that your payment went through. You will then be connected directly to the tour operator, in case you have any further questions. We are also happy to answer any questions about the tour, or travel in general in your country of destination.